Grasshopper is a versatile parametric design software that can be used to process many types of data to generate shapes, analyze designs and tackle computational challenges in a 3D modelling environment.STUDIOFG.nl
Since it was first launched in 2007, Grasshopper has quickly become a staple in computational design. It was one of the first software programs to combine visual programming and 3D modelling using Rhino3D. The possibilities have been growing ever since and new capabilities are added almost every day.
Grasshopper can be used to create algorithms that can handle many types of data and information and process them in a wide variety of ways.
Here are just a few examples of possible scenarios in which Grasshopper can play a role:
- Optimizing a chair design to fit a collection of 3D body scans
- Evaluating geographical data and processing it in a 3D model
- Controlling robotic equipment and preparing 3D models for realization
- Evaluating RGB images of aerial photos and creating data sheets that can be shared as input for other GIS software
- Analyzing 3D geometry and executing operations to generate production files
- Facade panelization
- Performance and cost evaluations
- Automatic generation of thousands of variations of a design and filtering out the best
- Analyzing facade performance and adjusting the design accordingly
- Live updates of a design according to input variables
- Online collaboration and streaming data to clients
Areas of usage
Grasshopper can be used in a wide variety of projects that require data processing, but it is primarily used in architecture, product design and interactive art projects.
Rhino3D and Grasshopper are also sometimes used in yacht and naval design, particularly hull design and customized boat covers.
Got a job for Grasshopper?
If you think Grasshopper might be interesting for your project or office, feel free to get in touch to see how StudioFG can help you implement it, or even teach it at your office so you can start using it on a daily basis.